readingrina

Rina's Reads

I love books. What more can I say?

Lord of the Vampires (Harlequin Nocturne)

Lord of the Vampires - Gena Showalter The Royal House of Shadows is the brainchild of four bestselling paranormal romance authors, coming together to create a fantasy world for Harlequin’s Nocturne series. Each subsequent book is written by a different author and Gena Showalter kicks it off with Lord of the Vampires, the story of Nicolai.

Nicolai is the eldest of five royal siblings who are separated after their parents, the king and queen of Elden, have been murdered by the Blood Sorcerer. Each sibling is faced with their own obstacles to overcome, including their loss of memory, in order to be reunited with one another before time runs out and the Blood Sorcerer can’t be stopped.

Nicolai, after being stripped of his memories, has been taken against his will as a sex slave by witch princesses. His only chance to gain his freedom is by the help of a human scientist, Jane, who he has magically transported into his mystical world for his own gain. What he didn’t count on was falling in love with her.

I enjoyed Lord of the Vampires very much. Before diving in, I had perused a few reviews on it, most criticizing the book for its brevity.

Yes, it was a fairly quick read but I in no way thought it took away from the great story.

Nicolai is strong and sensual. You bare witness to his intense internal conflict over his insatiable need for vengeance and his new found desire to make Jane his own.

Jane is smart, believably strong throughout and an overall well developed heroine, characteristics I crave in my female leads. I found myself pulling for this couple throughout their journey and hoping that the circumstances surrounding these two was not insurmountable in the long run.

The book is at times graphically gruesome, but I myself enjoy the dynamic of gritty action and hot sex. I also think it showcased the excellent range at which Gena can write.

The next book, Lord of Rage, penned by Jill Monroe, is the story of the lone female offspring, Breena.

Jessica Anderson and Nalini Singh are the authors of the following installments.

I would definitely recommend this series. I know I am looking forward to see how the story changes and progresses from author to author.